background

9.09.2012

What a weekend!

                                                                         
 
* Weekend Recap *

Candace and I had talked about running in the cotton pickin' 5K a few weeks back, but the race fell on the morning of Emma's first soccer game.  She really wanted me to be at her first game so I told Candace I wouldn't be able to run. I knew a storm was going to be rolling through on Friday night but didn't think it would be enough to cancel her game.  I totally put the race out of my mind and was focused on the 5K I had coming up the following weekend.  I was disappointed but wasn't about to disappoint Emma by missing her first game.  When I checked the website at 7:15AM and saw the game had been cancelled I was excited at the thought of possibly being able to run the race.  I quickly remembered that Daniel would be showing a house at 10:30 and wasn't sure I'd have time to make it all the way across town, race, and be back in time so I could keep the kids.  It was about 10 Min. later that I got a text from Candace telling me to get dressed and come since the game was cancelled.  I explained the dilemma, still not thinking I could fit it all in, but did the math quickly and realized it was possible. I got ready in record speed, grabbed my water bottle and was out the door around 7:45.  The race began at 8:30 and I had a 35 minute drive.  Talk about cutting it close! Anyone who knows me knows that I'm a big time planner and like things organized and orderly.  I have to say this was a refreshing experience.  I didn't have my clothes laid out, didn't have my things together, hadn't focused on a "race" diet the day before, didn't get up early to warm up/ stretch.  AND I still raced a good race.  Sometimes the less I plan the better the experience!

So, I pull up with about 20 minutes before race time.  Candace registered for me to cut down on things I had to do when I arrived.  I tied my shoes, walked a super short warm up, and lined up.  I was surprised how quickly I was able to switch to race mode.  I was ready to run!  The weather was perfect, chilly almost. 

The countdown began, then we took off.  The race was hilly and I was thankful for the cooler weather.  I felt great the entire race.  I was unsure we'd be able to hold our pace the entire race since we were running a good bit faster than our training runs.  We encouraged each other and reminded ourselves that we were prepared and well trained! We were going to conquer this race. And we did. 

I wrote a few weeks ago about our first 5K together.  It was last August.  It was my first 5K as an adult.  My time was terrible and since this was the first 5K I'd run since then, I couldn't wait to crush my time.  We turned the corner and headed for the finish line and I could see the clock.  It said 26 min. and some odd seconds.  I knew if we booked it, we could be in the 27 min. range.  So, that's exactly what we did.  See the clock...27:19!   My app looked like this...



I was beyond thrilled with my time.  I feel like I could have even been faster and will strive for that next weekend in my women's walk/run 5K.  I was just so happy to have knocked 7 minutes off my last 5K!!! 


I'm a dork, I know, but since I looked so horrible for the race - due to the lack of time to get ready - I decided to take some pics with my race bib after my shower ;)



Needless to say I was on cloud 9 the rest of the day.  I made it home in time to tell D about the race before he left for his appointment, made coffee and ate breakfast - 2 over easy eggs and whole wheat English muffin, used the foam roller, stretched, showered, and spent the afternoon at the park.  We walked, the kids played, we ate Parker's water ice..yum, and got pizza for dinner! What a fantastic Saturday!!! Couldn't have asked for more! 


Sunday


Me and Ingram

 
A little collage I put together. The sign was hanging on their house!!! How precious!
 
Today has been a wonderful way to close out the weekend.  We went to church this morning and I had a St. Jude meeting this afternoon.  I wanted to bring the entire family so they could meet Ingram, but Emma had ensemble and handbell auditions.  I arrived at Ingram's house and knew no one! However, everyone was so nice and friendly and made me feel right at home.  I guess it never dawned on me that most people on his team would know him and his family personally.  I may have been the only one there without a connection to the family.  Like I said, everyone was so sweet and they welcomed me right in.  Kids were swimming and having a great time -they even had a Ben and Jerry's Ice cream truck there! My kind of people :)  I was able to get wrist bands, T-shirts, and a sweat band, all with team Ingram logos.  The best part however, was taking a picture with sweet little Ingram and getting to talk with him for a second.  He is just a doll and you can't help but fall in love with him!  I am beyond honored to have this opportunity to run for him and all the kids at St. Jude.  You may click here to make a donation on my personal fundraising page. No amount is too small!!!


 
Our Team Ingram shirts! They were amazingly nice and allowed me to bring  the green shirts home to D and the kids, free of charge.  I purchased the gray shirts - for D and the kids - all proceeds to team Ingram, of course :)


I hope you had a blessed weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment