background

10.05.2012

9

 
 
Milestone Update!!!!
 
**9 miles complete**
 
 
 
 
 
 
Today was a huge step in the right direction.  We successfully ran 9 miles! Yippee!!!  Normally our long runs are on Saturdays but with the chance of rain tomorrow we decided to go ahead and get them done today. 
 
My alarm went off at 4:30...I hit snooze, fell back asleep and got up when it went off 5 min. later.  I had gone to bed around 9 last night so I was pretty well rested.  I headed out the door around 4:50 and arrived at Candace's house at 5.  We headed out into the pitch black of the early morning armed with flash lights, pepper spray, water bottles, hammer gels, and plenty of anticipation. 
 
The first few miles I felt off.  Nothing major just kind of icky. After mile 3 I was fine and into the groove.  Ready to tackle the task ahead!!!
 
 
 
 
Around mile 3.5 or so our friend, Amanda, joined us.  I know I've said this before but I love running with friends! The miles fly by and there is always something to chat about.  We talk about everything! It's great fun.
 
At mile 6 I tried my first hammer gel.  Oh my, we were a little surprised about the gross texture but the taste was OK.  I'd say it definitely helped us finish strong.  Just before I took it I was feeling hungry so the timing was good.  My tummy did hurt for a minute or so after but it was quick and no biggie.  I think having something and hour or so into a long run is vital and I'll be stocking up as my long runs only get longer.  It fit nicely in my water bottle and was easy to open and eat. So, I'd give it a B - points taken away for weird thick texture.
 
Honestly, other than the first few miles getting into my groove, the run was fantastic! Good friends, great weather, & a huge milestone achieved! I couldn't have asked for more! 
 
 
 
God's amazing hand of protection...
 
 
 
 
At the beginning of the run we heard sirens and saw a fire truck and ambulance turn onto Berryhill, a street I had just driven down 10 min. before.  Didn't think anything about it really until I was on my way home and was forced to turn around and take a detour. Berryhill was completely blocked.  A bad wreck was the cause. Still not thinking much about it until I realized that the wreck would have occurred just minutes after I had traveled down Berryhill to go to C's house.  We were only a few minutes into our run when we saw the firetruck and ambulance, so that means that there was maybe a 5 minute window.  My window of protection.  I'm am so thankful for God's protection!!! This is why I try not to get upset if I'm running late or my schedule changes due to weird circumstances...you never know what He is protecting you from!!!
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. AWESOME on GOAL MET!!! Just a few more miles and you will officially complete 13.1 miles :)

    Isn't it crazy how your body and mind get strong through the discipline of running!? LOVE IT!!

    And praise the Lord for His protection!

    ReplyDelete