background

10.29.2012

11

 
 * 11 MILES CONQUERED *
 
 
 
Today was a huge accomplishment toward my running goals.
 
I remember when I began running, the thought of running double digits seemed completely out of reach. 
 
However, with months and months of diligent training and hard work, I was able to cross this huge milestone. 
 
Emma had soccer game Saturday morning so we decided not to brave the dark freezing early morning and meet later in the day.  We met around 11am and were on our way.  Temps were in the 50s and the sun was shining brightly.  Simply a gorgeous day!  It's so hard figuring out what to wear when you know it's cold out but you also know you will warm up as you run.  Don't want to overdress or under dress.  I ended up buying long running tights on Friday so I decided to wear them Saturday.  I loved them.  They fit well and didn't ride as I ran!
 
 
 
So, mine are a little different than these...well, actually a lot different...just couldn't find an online pic and was too lazy to get up and take a pic of mine :) However, the style is the same but the colors are different. Mine are gray/black with pink accents!
 
Anyway, moving on! Ha. 
 
So, we started running around 11:20 and I had to potty right away.  Apparently, all the coffee and water I'd had earlier ran right through me since I had gone just 10 minutes before we started running. Luckily, there was a bathroom around mile 2.  Once we started again, we were rolling.  Feeling good overall.  Good solid pace and pure determination lead our path.  Around mile 6 or so it was time to refuel.  I had a Gu Gel and Candace had fruit snacks.  Both seemed to work great.  I had the vanilla flavored caffeine free gel this time and really enjoyed it.  I ate it over about a 5 minute period.  I really did feel a boost of energy a few minutes later.  Also, around mile 6 I began to feel an annoying ache in my left knee.  I wasn't too concerned about it but it did catch my attention since I've been running pretty much pain free lately.  I pushed through since it didn't seem to worsen. 
 
The miles went by.  The closer we got to our goal, the more excited we became.  I don't know, there was just something about running 11 miles that seemed like such an accomplishment.  I mean, we are only 2 short miles away from a half marathon!!! Woohoo!!!
 
We finished in 1:49:39 and let me tell ya...we were spent!!! It was a good exhausted, a super happy we met our goal, exhausted!
 
Our splits...
 
Mile 1 - 10:16
Mile 2 - 10:05
Mile 3 - 9:33
Mile 4 - 9:46
Mile 5 - 9:47
Mile 6 - 9:48
Mile 7 - 10:18
Mile 8 - 10:13
Mile 9 - 10:06
Mile 10 - 9:51
Mile 11 - 9:42
 

 
 
When I got home I used my foam roller and stretched for a good 20 minutes.  Then, I hit the shower.  I don't think a hot shower had ever felt so good!  By the time all that was done, I was so hungry!!! After all, I'd burned around 1100 calories!  I ate lunch then laid on the couch and took a nap! 
 
My knee was still bothering me so I decided to wear a brace all day Sunday and not run today or tomorrow.  It's feeling so much better so I should be back to training Wednesday.  At this point in the game, I'd rather be safe than sorry!
 
32 days till race day!!! I can't believe it! I'm so excited!
 
 


1 comment:

  1. Way to go!!! I'm glad you found some great pants. Where did you get them? I'm also glad your knee is better!

    ReplyDelete