Gorgeous Weather!
Today
has been gorgeous! This morning was simply amazing. Temps in the upper 60s and
a nice breeze. We ran our miles in 95% shade so even when the temps began to
rise, we were still cool. We ran 5.17 in 53 minutes. Technically, it was faster
than that but we stopped for close to 2 min. for Candace to get rid of a weird
cramp. So, our average pace was in the 9.5ish minute mile range, just where I
like it for training.
I
love running in the mornings. It's the best way to begin my day. I had some
tummy issues this morning before my run because I ate terribly yesterday. The
hubs was off so we ended up eating lunch and dinner out, which we never do.
Mexican for lunch and BBQ for dinner, yeah, I paid for it! Plus I didn't sleep
more than 6 hours last night! You would think with the bad tummy and little
sleep that my run would have suffered. It really didn't and I was so happy.
However, I don't recommend the combo and don't plan on doing that again any
time soon, if ever. Just not very smart.
Anyway,
we ran a new path today and it was just beautiful. There were bikers, walkers
and runners everywhere. Everyone we passed was so nice! Funny how people are
usually so much nicer when they are out doing something physically active. It
just brightens your mood and is good for the soul!
OK,
so yes my tummy was messed up but, my parents and kids love donuts and they had
graciously kept my munchkins the night before so I decided to treat them to the
famous Gibson's donuts! I was good and only had one blueberry donut along with
fruit and coffee. Talk about heavenly!!!
Shoes & Gel Shots
This afternoon I went to Breakaway
in hopes of buying new shoes. I went in convinced of the shoe I wanted. I
wanted Brooks PureFlows. However, after talking with the sales guy and
explaining my past injury he wasn't convinced it would be the best shoe for me.
I need to make sure the shoe I wear has really good cushioning and support.
Don't get me wrong, the PureFlows are a fantastic shoe, but because of my
injury history and in hopes to never repeat that fracture I need something with
a little more support. I left shoeless this time and will do a lot of research
to hopefully find the right shoe for me. I love the shoe I'm in now - Brooks
Defyance 5. I may end up sticking with it, but want to explore all my options.
As my mileage increases the need for
carbs and electrolytes do as well. I picked up several different brands of gel
shots to test out over the next several long runs - Hammer Gel, Cliff Shot Gel,
GU Gel, and Sport Beans. I also got NUUN - electrolyte enhanced drink tablets.
I've been told the supplements are trial and error so I hope I can find a
favorite and stick with it. Do you have a favorite gel shot or drink tablet?
Healthy Snack!
I was super hungry at this point of
the day so we stopped at Smoothie King for a delicious treat. It was just what
I needed to carry me until dinner. Yay for healthy snacks!
Last, but certainly not least....My Half
Marathon 16 week training program.
Candace and I begin Monday.
The first 2 or 3 weeks really shouldn't be too challenging and I'm excited to
increase mileage on our long runs in the near future! Since we did 5 today with
no problem we may tweak the first couple of long runs to match where we are
now, but for the most part we plan on sticking to this plan. I got the
"meat" of the plan from Hal Higdon's Novice 2 training program. I
increased the training from a 12 week program to a 16 week program. Since there
are 16 weeks till the race. I have a few 5K races on the calendar for
Saturday's, our long run day. I plan on running the extra distance that evening
so I don't get behind schedule. For instance, week 5 I'm running a 5K race -
that evening I'll run 4 miles to total 7 miles, the Saturday mileage of the
week before. I didn't write that in the schedule but thought about it
afterwards. I'm sure the evening miles will be a standard practice pace since
I'll be tired from the 5K at race pace that morning.
So, Here it is :)


awesome schedule-- I've got about 4 weeks until my 1/2. I'm glad I'm not the only runner who EATS-- I ran 5 miles on Thursday after eating a bit too liberally the day before and I totally paid for it. yuck.
ReplyDeleteI may take some of your ideas-- love the 2 rest days! I think that may help me do a little more strength workouts on my "on" days.
and gels-- never tried em! I do know i've been eating alot more than usual. may have to give those a shot!
Oh yes girl, I love to eat! I am trying some new snacks throughout the day..I'm loving LaraBars and Greek yogurt. YUM, and I don't feel guilty about eating so much! :)
ReplyDeleteYes, esp since you are running 8+ miles - the gels should really help keep you going. I'll let ya know when I try them out!