background

8.07.2012

Training group and foam roller


Training Group



I always look forward to Monday nights because that's when my running group meets.  The plan for the group was to run 1 mile, walk 2 minutes, and repeat for 3 miles.  Candace and I both felt that the pace was super slow and we just weren't being challenged this particular night.  She had the idea to break away from the group and do our own thing.  I loved the idea so we tried to be as nonchalant as possible while breaking free from the pack. We ended up running just over 4 miles.  Overall it was a great run and I'm happy we separated this time.  As we were leaving we decided to meet in the morning, which was today, and strength train.  We warmed up by riding the bike for 5 -7 minutes to get our blood flowing.  We then moved to arms, legs, and abs. We trained for 45 minutes and my muscles were definitely tired when I left. 


Foam Roller

Over the weekend I picked up a foam roller.  My running group coach along with Runner's World magazines have recommended that all runners and athletes use one. I love it so far.  It is a little awkward to use at first, but you get used to it.  My dad is an avid bike rider and he rides several times a week up to 35 miles at a time.  I took it over to their house today and let him try it.  He was hooked immediately.   He had just ridden today and he said it definitely helped his muscles loosen! 

 - I bought mine at Dicks Sporting Goods and it was $25

Check out this You Tube video for a few great ideas on how to use the roller. 



Here's further description and a little HOW TO...taken from runningtimes.com


A Foam Roller Life
The best way to eliminate and prevent muscle knots is the foam roller. The foam roller is a firm foam log that is six inches in diameter. Use the roller against the muscle knots with your own body weight to generate the direct pressure. Imagine using a rolling pin to roll out lumps in bread dough. A foam roller is a good alternative to repetitive trips to the massage therapist. Your foam roller is always available and doesn’t accept tips! Bottom line: The foam roller is an inexpensive, yet highly effective way to treat and prevent the most common injuries seen in runners.  A few minutes a day can help keep you on the road for years to come.

Key Points for Specific Foam Roller Exercises
1. Roll back and forth across the painful or stiff area for 60 seconds.
2. Spend extra time directly over the
knot or trigger point itself.
3. Roll the injured area two to three time a day. For prevention of injuries, two to three times a week is recommended.
4. Avoid rolling over bony areas.
5. Always stretch the area following foam rolling.






Lie sideways with the foam roller under the side of your thigh. Roll between your knee and your hip bone. Spend extra time on the more tender areas you encounter. Use your top leg and foot against the ground to decrease the force if you cannot tolerate the pressure initially. After a few days of rolling, your IT Band will loosen up and you should be able to tolerate full pressure (feet together off the ground)







Start with both of your thighs on the roller at the same time. Roll back and forth from your knees to hips. To increase the pressure, lift one thigh off the roller. This doubles the force.





Lie on your back on the foam roller. Cross your arms across the front of your chest and exhale deeply as you roll the middle of your back against the roller. This is a great stretch for your chest early in the morning before a run.




Tomorrow we have a run scheduled for the morning.  I am loving my training! Are you loving yours?

3 comments:

  1. hmmmm I might have to check out this foam roller

    ReplyDelete
  2. i may need to check that out too! I've been so sore after running!! I know I probably need to stretch better... something like this may help. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. both of you should definitely check out the roller. I promise it won't disappoint. I was super sore from strength training yesterday and used it today after my run. I'm hardly sore anymore!

    ReplyDelete