background

2.10.2012

I'm BACK!!!

After a 10 month break from the blogging world, I decided it was time to come back.  I'm not even sure why I took a break, but that's not what's important. I'm just happy to say that, while on my blog break, I still cooked deliciously healthy meals and worked out!  I did, however, take a 4 month break (Sept 5th - Dec 28th) due to a stress fracture that happened while running.

Here's what happend:
It was the perfect day to run.  Sun was behind the clouds, temps were upper 60s, there was a light breeze, and I was with my family.  It was Labor Day and the hubs and I decided to head to Shelby Farms for a run.  I laced up my shoes, walked my 5 min. warm up and off we went.  I felt amazing.  Seriously the best I think I'd ever felt on a run. The hubs and I ran side by side at a comfortable 10 min mile pace for about 2.5 miles.  The run was feeling so effortless that I decided to run ahead and see if I could run 5 miles. Up until this point the farthest I'd run was 3.5.  Ignoring all the advice I'd received in the weeks before, I went for it.  The advice came from the Women's Running Group in Memphis.  We met once a week and ran together.  It was a lot of fun getting to run with some great friends and my sister each week.  As I approached mile 4 I was floating on clouds, seriously it was awesome. I was smiling and waving at everyone I passed feeling so proud of myself.  Well, I knew that I needed to slow down my pace because I just kept getting faster and faster.  Somehow, I couldn't.  At mile 4.5 my right hip began hurting out of nowhere.  Ignoring it, I continued to run.  I was hurting with every step, but saw the 5 mile goal in site, so decided to keep going.  I'm extreamly competitive with myself and was pretty determined not to give up.  At this point the rest of my body still felt great and I was frustrated with my dumb hip.  Nonetheless, I kept trucking it.  Well, I was at mile 4.98 when I all but fell to the ground in pain.  I was thinking, what muscle did I pull? I certainly wish it had been a pulled muscle. Little did I know.  So, I pulled myself off the ground, stretched, and began making my way to my family.  Each step hurt worse than the one before and I was almost in tears by the time I walked the mile to reach them.  I continued to stretch and the pain just got worse.  Over the next few days, the pain did not ease. Of course me being me, didn't change my schedule. I still washed the car, cleaned the house, bathed the dog and kids, cooked, etc. It wasn't until a full 2 weeks later I decided to go to the doctor.  Thinking it was nothing serious, I went to see my general doc.  They did an XRay and it showed nothing.  He gave me a cortozone shot and sent me on my way.  I continued my normal daily schedule and working in the nursery at church.  One particular Thursday morning I was in awful pain.  I told my boss the situation and how my entire thigh and butt were numb after walking about 50 feet.  I stood in the hallway balling my eyes out because the pain was so severe. She was so supportive and told me I should see an Orthopedic doctor.  You would think I would have thought of that myself, but since my general doctor said I was fine....well, I believed him.  NEVER AGAIN. I made an appointment for the next day with an Ortho Sports Med Doc.  They did an XRay as well and it was clear.  He put me on crutches for 2 weeks and wanted me to stay off of it as much as I could.  Well, those that know me know that he needed to be much more specific and say NO weight on it at all! Ha, I'm so hard headed and wish I had taken those 2 weeks on the crutches seriously.  Needless to say, I didn't. I was probably on them about 50% of the time.  I found it super difficult to do everything while using them.  Went back to see him when the 2 weeks were up and told him the pain was still there.  Well, of course it was...I hadn't followed the rules!  He ordered an MRI for the following week. I knew at that moment it must be serious and didn't put any weight on it the next 4 days.  That 4th day was the MRI.  I was pretty nervous, but got through it ok.  Waiting on the results was hard.  I just wanted to know what was wrong.  I got the call the following Tuesday that I wasn't expecting.  He told me that I had a non-displaced femoral neck stress fracture.  A WHAT??!! He explained it to me and told me not to put ANY weight on it at all.  I was pretty determined at this point to get better, so I complied.  The next 5 weeks were super hard emotionally and physically. I swear I have never cried so much in my life.  The hardest part was the time before I was diagnosed.  I say that because I was in such pain with no explaination.  I had thoughts like....will I ever walk normally again and will I ever run again?? I had to pray that the Lord would get me through this tough time. I had to rely on Him to get me through every day.  I learned to do what I had to do.  My mom was amazing.  She helped 3 to 4 days a week with cooking, cleaning, laundry and the kids.  I couldn't have made it without her and the hubs help. I had another MRI 6 weeks later.  I was so beyond thrilled when it came back clean.  I was so grateful to be able to do things normally again.  I tell you what, I learned some valuable lessons during those 4 months.  I learned to listen to my body & always get a second opinion from the doctors.  I learned just how valuable my legs are. I know this sounds silly, but when you think you may never walk normally again you realize just how important each leg is.  I also learned not to take anything for granted and just how faithful God is to me personally.  It seemed like everytime I turned on KLOVE the perfect song for ME was playing. It was always just what I needed to get me throught the next moments! The Lord brought me through it and I'm so happy to be on the other side!

In the next posts I'll get back to posting recipes as well as my daily workout schedule!

Thanks for reading. God bless!!!




Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment