background

3.23.2011

Chicken Casserole and Roast, Carrots, & Potatoes!!!

I can't believe it's been a week since I blogged.  I do have a little excuse though. I was sick with a cold and my allergies have been going nuts!  I'm finally feeling better and it is so nice to get back into my routines.  I spent most of the day Monday deep cleaning my 3 bathrooms and kitchen, doing laundry, and changing out winter clothes for summer clothes.  Plus, I went to the gym, meal planned, and grocery shopped!  I was worn out by the day was over so I didn't finish my entire list.  I was able to work on a few things yesterday like vacuuming and mopping and my plan today is to dust and clean my mirrors and pictures.  We'll see if I get to it today. If not, there's always tomorrow!  That is a concept that I just recently became okay with.  I would pretty much kill myself and conquer the entire house - floor to ceiling - once a week.  Yikes! After Brock was born, I got some sense!  I realized that it's okay to not always have a perfect house.  I keep my house straight, for my sanity, but it's certainly not always spotless.  For in between cleanings I love to use Clorox clean up wipes or Lysol wipes!!! They are awesome!  I wipe down my kitchen counters, fridge, bathroom sink, toilet, etc...I use them everywhere.





Anyway, I do have recipes to share! Yay! I may not have cleaned, but I did manage to cook a few meals.

Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole

I would think most of you have had either this exact meal or something very similar.  It seems to be a southern classic.

Here's how it's done-

Ingredients:

* 1 pound chicken
* 2 cans cream of chicken
* 1 cup sour cream
* 2ish sleeves Ritz Crackers
* Poppy seeds

How to:

First, rinse chicken and put in a pot of boiling water.  Once chicken is just about cooked through, pull it out and allow to cool.  Once cooled, shred the chicken and set off to side.  Preheat oven to 375.  Mix 2 cans of cream of chicken and sour cream together in a bowl.  Once incorporated, spoon mixture into a glass baking dish.  Add chicken and crush about 1/2 sleeve of Ritz. Finally, add poppy seeds to taste - 1 to 2 tablespoons. Pop in the oven for about 20 minutes or until bubbly.  Crush a full sleeve of Ritz on top of casserole.  Place back in the oven for 5-7 more minutes or until lightly toasted. Serve with a side salad and rolls.


shredded chicken

This is a picture of Daniel's plate and he doesn't like poppy seeds.  I omit them and add them to my plate at the table.  It doesn't effect the flavor at all to add them later.




Roast, Carrots, & Potatoes

This is another recipe that y'all are going to be familiar with.  It's my roast, carrots, & potatoes.  I made this today and it is always a winner in my family. 

Ingredients:

* Roast (size of your choice) mine are usually 3-5 pounds.
* 3.5 cups beef broth or stock
* 2 bay leaves
* onion powder
* garlic powder
* Italian seasoning - weird...maybe - but  yummie!
* A1
* Worcestershire sauce
* Salt/ Pepper
* 1/2 bag of bite size carrots
* about 6 potatoes, washed and cubed

How to:

Last night at 10 I put my frozen roast in the crock pot with the beef broth, bay leaves, 1 tablespoon onion powder, 1 tablespoon garlic powder, 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning, splash of A1, splash of Worcestershire, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 tsp. pepper.  I turned it on low and let it simmer all night long.  When I got back from the gym this morning I added the carrots and potatoes. It was perfectly cooked and ready to eat by lunchtime!  I heated up some pillsbury biscuits and we had a delicious lunch!  Sorry for the lack of pictures on this one! Y'all give it a try!!!




I don't have a ton to report this time since I have been sick, but I did work out Monday and today. 

Monday I was still feeling weak so I did a super light workout. I lifted weights for 40 minutes and then walked 1.25 miles on the 'mill at a high incline. 

Today was a much better day in the gym & on the pavement!  I did 40 minutes of weights, concentrating on abs and arms.  I finished my time in the gym with 5.10 miles on the bike. I kept the RPMs between 90-100 and resistance level 8.  I really wanted to run today because it had been a full week since my last run.  After I put the carrots and potatoes in the crockpot with the roast, we loaded up the Expedition with E's bike and B's jogging stroller and headed to Shelby.  I ran the 5k trail and finished around 30 minutes.  I forgot my watch again!!! This time it was even in the car and I just forgot to get it out..grrr! Daniel and Brock were behind me a ways and I basically guessed my time based on his.  Emma rode her bike alongside me while I ran.  It brought back memories of me and my dad!!! 
Daniel's running shoes were about as bad as my old ones and he was getting blisters and having other issues with them.  We decided it was time to replace his shoes! We headed to Fleet Feet and got him a great pair of Nikes! I bought a new pair of running socks! 

Till next time =)


Blessings and Love,
Allie


No comments:

Post a Comment