So, I made a new dish yesterday and I'm going to be honest - it wasn't my favorite. It was good - just not awesome! I've gone back and forth trying to decide if I should post it on here, but since this is a blog about my journey in the kitchen - I thought I should. After all, there are mountains and valleys in every journey. All this being said - I'm SUPER picky when it comes to food. I've been told I have extra high standards. My husband really enjoyed this dish and the kids ate it pretty well. So, you'll have to decide for yourselves - If you make it PLEASE tell me about it!
Taco Pasta Shells
Ingredients:
* 18 jumbo pasta shells (the kind you use for stuffed shells)
* TB. butter
* 1 lb. ground beef
* 2 tsp. chili powder
* 1/4 tsp. salt
* 3 oz. cream cheese
* 1 cup of your favorite taco sauce or salsa (I skipped this step bc I didn't have either...I think mine would have been WAY better had I added this!!!
* 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
* 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
* 1.5 cups crushed tortilla chips
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350. Cook the pasta shells according to package directions. Drain and gently toss with the butter and set aside. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the ground beef. Break into crumbles and drain well. Return to the pan on low heat, season with chili powder and salt, stir well. Stir in the cream cheese. Simmer for 5 minutes.
Fill the shells with the beef mixture and arrange in an ungreased 9x13 backing dish. Spoon the taco sauce/salsa over the shells. Cover and bake for 15 minutes. Uncover, top with cheese and crushed tortilla chips. Bake for 15 minutes more.
| filling the pasta shells |
| shredded cheddar and monterey jack cheese |
| final product - we had Spanish rice as a side and I topped each shell with sour cream and tomatoes |
I didn't realize it had been since Monday that I blogged. It's been a busy week and time has gotten away from me.
Overall my workouts have been a little lighter this week. I've been having a pain in my left knee for the past several workouts so I'm trying to go easy on it. Hopefully it won't turn into anything serious. I have a bad habit of popping just about every bone in my body and my knees are no exception. I know this is a terrible thing to do and I'm trying to stop. I have a feeling the pain in my knee is caused by my popping it - shameful!!! It's so hard to break bad habits, but this is one I've got to stop!
Tuesday in the gym was arms and abs day. After weights I did the stair climber.
Today was leg day. I had pain again in my knee so I did light weights. After working my legs I walked a fast pace on the 'mill for 10 minutes and incline 15 (highest it goes). It seriously feels like you are climbing a mountain. You just better hold on or you will fall off! I laugh everytime I think about that. I would just die - haha!
Blessings & Love,
Allie




Hey Allie! I know you probably don't even remotely remember me from high school, but I just wanted you to know that I love reading your blog and your facebook recipe posts. I'm a stay-at-home mom who loves to cook, too, and my family LOVES having new dinners to try. (I'm an AllRecipes fan, too, and also the site BigOven--great variety and really good on reviews, which I depend on.) My husband is one of the pickiest humans on earth, so I have to do a little disguising and "white lies" about what goes in his food. LOL There have been a few different recipes you've posted in the past that we've tried and really enjoyed. So keep it up!! (Now if I could only be as dedicated and follow your workout routine, too. Haha)
ReplyDeleteI'm gonna have to try this one. (I'm excited about the Southwest Steak one, too) I love "doctoring" recipes that I find online, and this sounds like one where you could have a lot of fun playing around by adding ingredients here and there. (one of my favorite things about Mexican foods---sometimes the addition of extra spices makes all the difference in the world!) It's good to hear how you prepared yours and what you think it lacked. No one ever made a great meal without having a few "blah" versions in the process. Haha You could end up trying it again and it be one of your favorites!
Thanks for the recipe ideas and can't wait to hear more.
~Ash
Thanks so much, Ashleigh, for your encouragment! It really means a lot! I totally agree and have fun playing around with recipes. I will definitely make some changes to this recipe. It is a good "base" dish, but needs some spicing up!
ReplyDeleteI purchased the spices for my southwest steak today and can't wait to make it. I'll prob. prepare that Sunday - So be on the look out =)