background

3.06.2011

Delicious Banana Cake with Chocolate Icing









Today I made a cake completely from scratch!!! I have to say this was a first for me.  I've always been a little afraid of baking.  I have no idea why, I just have.  I received my monthly Penzeys Spices catalog and saw the recipe for the Banana Cake I prepared today. It didn't seem too difficult and the pictures were basically saying "eat me!"  I had to try this recipe. I went to Penzeys yesterday and bought the cocoa powder and pure vanilla extract that it called for in the recipe.  Before I discovered Penzeys I had no clue the amount of flavor I was missing in my food. Their spices are amazing and truly make a huge difference in your food.

Now for the recipe!

Gram's Banana Cake

Ingredients for the cake:



12 Cups sugar
2 12 Cups mashed very ripe bananas (about 6 fresh, 8 if using previously frozen)
1 Cup butter (2 sticks)
4 eggs
1 Cup sour cream
2 tsp. baking soda
3 Cups all-purpose flour
1 TB. PURE VANILLA EXTRACT (purchased from Penzeys)


Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease and flour three 9-inch cake pans and
set aside. Mash the bananas and place in a measuring cup. If using
previously frozen bananas, just cut the tip off and squeeze the thawed
bananas into a measuring cup, pouring off any watery liquid. Cream the
butter and sugar together until well mixed. Add the eggs and beat well.
Mix in the sour cream. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour and
baking soda. Add to the creamed mixture and beat well. Add the
mashed bananas and PURE VANILLA EXTRACT and mix well. Divide
evenly among the prepared cake pans. Bake for 30  minutes or until a
toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool a few minutes
and remove from pans. Cool completely before frosting.

Ingredients for Frosting:

5 Cups Powder Sugar
1/3 cup Natural Cocoa Powder (purchased from Penzeys)
1/3 cup butter / softened
2-4 Tablespoons Black brewed coffee
Directions:
Sift the Powder sugar and Cocoa together in a large bowl.  Add softened butter and mix on very low speed until they are incorporated. Add the coffee starting with 2 TB.,  and mix until it reaches your desired spreading consistency.  I kinda messed up on my icing because I didn't think it had enough coffee in it. Instead of adding the coffee slowly, like the directions clearly state, I poured prob. close to a cup (on accident). Whoops! So, be careful not to add too much coffee. I fixed it pretty easily by sifting more powdered sugar and cocoa and adding it to thicken the icing back up.  It taste wonderful, luckily! I was glad I didn't have to start over!


Brock and Emma peeling the bananas

Sugar BABY!

Making the cake batter

Sifting powdered sugar and cocoa

He LOVED it -

Icing time - my icing was still a little thin so it ran a little but it didn't effect the taste at all!

Finished Product!



Now, go bake something =)

Blessings and love,
Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment