background

2.10.2011

In the kitchen -

Today was officially a snow day.  Yesterday, it snowed around 3 inches and where I live, the city pretty much shuts down with a lot less on the ground than that. So, I thought the perfect meal to prepare today was a heartwarming soup.  I decided to make Potato, Broccoli, and Cheese soup and paired it with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches! Delish.  It's very simple and always satisfying.

Here's the recipe-


  • 1 cup chopped onion







  • 3 tablespoons margarine







  • 2 1/2 pounds peeled and cubed potatoes







  • 4.5 cups chicken broth







  • 3 cups fresh broccoli, or frozen cooked and drained







  • salt and pepper to taste







  • 3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese





  • Directions

    1. In a large stock pot saute onion in butter. Add potatoes, and chicken broth. Cover, bring to boil and then reduce heat to medium and cook until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
    2. Steam broccoli.  Once cooked add to soup. *don't over cook the broccoli!!!
    3. In a blender, food processor, or hand mixer puree the soup and return to stock pot. Season with salt and pepper.
    4. Add cheese and heat soup through until cheese is melted. Serve warm.
    As for the grilled cheese sandwiches, I do it the traditional way. Sliced cheese, buttered bread, and cooked on the stove until cheese is melted and bread is toasted.

    Like I said, super easy, but delicious!  Give it a try - let me know if you do.

    Since the streets are icy today, there was no working out.  I'm going in the morning, dark and early!!! Hope to get in a good run!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment