background

4.30.2012

Hot, Humid and toe cramps!!!

Yesterday's workout was one I would love to forget!!! I started out at the gym and rode 3 miles on the bike.  I noticed my foot starting to get tight and a charlie horse coming on.  I ignored it and kept going.  It eased up a little bit so I continued my workout.  I did about 25 minutes of weights and then hopped on the 'mill to run.  It was about 90 degrees at the time and really didn't want to run outside.  I started walking and immediately started getting cramps in my toes again. This time it was the other foot.  I got off the 'mill, took my shoe off and was having to pull my toes the opposite direction...it was so painful and it would not go away.  I ended up leaving the gym and heading home.  I realized after I got home that it was probably due to being dehydrated.  I thought back at the last 24 hours and realized I had only had a few slices of pizza and like 2 cups of water! NOT COOL! We had been at church all morning and I didn't have time to eat breakfast before we left and only had a small lunch with minimal liquid.  I downed 2 bottles of water and decided to try to run in my neighborhood.  I started with a warm up walk and 2 minutes into the walk they started cramping again.  I stopped and took my shoes off to try to stretch them out again. It sort of worked and just decided that maybe if I ran on them it would stretch the muscles and I would be OK.  Luckily that worked and about a mile into my run I felt all loose and didn't have anymore cramps.  However, I will say that it was the most unfun run EVER!  It was so stinking hot, humid and sunny.  I thought I was gonna die.  I'm sure being dehydrated didn't help!  I ended up dumping half of my water on my head and down my shirt!  I barely squeaked out 3 miles and every step was a challenge! I know my body will adjust to the heat over time but for now I'm just miserable in the heat.  I came home and laid in the middle of my den under the fan for at least 10 minutes to cool off. So I learned a huge lesson....STAY HYDRATED!!!!!

4 comments:

  1. that stinks! At least you still got your run in :) I probably would have skipped :/.... have you ever tried coconut water or bananas? natural electrolytes... bananas help cramps and coconut water just gives sooo much energy. love that stuff.... it may help with cramping too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome advice, Annie! I'll definitely try that! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allie, I too face the trouble with the heat. it is so pretty outside for the run...but so stinking hot...and I dont do heat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's definitely a different challange when you are in the heat vs the cool! I much prefer the cool too!

    ReplyDelete